Following the advice issued by both the Scottish and British Government this afternoon, we want to provide an update on Table Tennis Scotland’s current position in relation to competitions and events.
To note again, this is a complex landscape and is changing regularly and it is likely that both the Government advice and TTS decisions will change over the coming days and weeks.
The current position, based on Government and Sport Scotland advice is:
That National and local league scheduled matches, competitions and events should go ahead as planned at this time. This includes the Inter League Event at Bells Sports Centre 21-22 March.
We want to give due consideration to the wellbeing of all participants and as such we are asking for the support of clubs and players to take as much precaution as practically possible to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus. These steps include:
Any participant (including spectators) with symptoms which could indicate Coronavirus should not attend events, matches, training or club events.
At risk/underlying conditions
We want to assure anyone who feels they are high risk or who has an underlying medical condition that there is no pressure to participate.
- All players should be requested to wash hands thoroughly pre-game and after the game.
- Pre- and post-match handshakes will not be required as part of match protocol.
- Where players/teams wish to show respect to opposition, an “elbow bump” can be used at agreement of both players.
- Dispensation should be given regarding the towelling rule to avoid players wiping their hands on the tables.
At this time TTS is not ruling out any future steps or actions and will continue to monitor and respond to the situation and the advice we receive from Sport Scotland and The Scottish Government.
Future steps may include
- Full cancellation of all table tennis competition for a period of time.
- Cancellation of specific events or programmes.
- We would ask leagues and clubs to be ready to act quickly should the advice change, to communicate with their members and to act in the best interests of our game and our participants.
If you have questions please get in touch and we will endeavour to answer them to the best of our ability.
TTS Chief Operating Officer
13 March 2020