Cup Report 18-01-15


Harborough Diamonds 22 J Allington (+3) 7/5, Coombs (+7) 8/4, Palfrey (+8) 7/5 Westfield “B” 14 Rushton(+1) 7/5, Jaraices (+1) 6/6, N Bird (SCR) 1/11,

Kettering Town “B” 21 Chatburn (+6) 8/4, An Woolston (+7) 7/5, Al Woolston (+5) 4/8, An Woolston/Chatburn (+6) 2/2 Harborough Rangers 19 Burnham (SCR) 7/5, Brocklebank (SCR) 7/5, Dixon (+2) 3/9 Burnham/Brocklebank (SCR) 2/2

Westfield “A” 27 K Bird (SCR) 6/6, Stefanov (SCR) 9/3, Silk (SCR) 12/0 Rothborough Comets 9 Sturgess (+7) 3/9, Brisley (+6) 3/9, Jones (+6) 3/9

Rothborough Dakotas 24 Ainsworth (+2) 9/3, Fleming (+4) 4/8, Rowbotham (+4) 10/2, Ainsworth/Rowbotham (+3) 1/3 Harborough Rovers 16 S Burgess (SCR) 4/8, J Burgess (SCR) 3/9, Pearson (SCR) 6/6, Burgess/Burgess (SCR) 3/1

Thrapston Eagles 16 Donaldson (+2) 5/7, West (+2) 7/5, Stockley (SCR) 2/10, Donaldson/West (+2) 2/2 Corby “D” 24 Bottrill (+6) 5/7, Brown (+8) 9/3, Cardwell (+7) 8/4 Brown/Cardwell (+7) 2/2

Thrapston Harriers 11 Marray (+5) 2/10, Burrows (+7) 3/9, Tyler (+6) 6/6 Kettering Town “A” 25 Metcalfe (+1) 11/1, Fuller (SCR) 5/7, Hawes (+2) 9/3

Harborough Athletic 16 B Thompson (+3) 6/6, N Thompson (+2) 2/10, V Allington (+7) 6/6 Thompson/Thompson (+2) 2/2 Corby “A” 24 Arthur (+1) 7/5, Haynes (SCR) 7/5, O’Boyle (SCR) 8/4 Haynes/Arthur (SCR) 2/2


Having got lost on the way to Church Langton, the night just got worse for Westfield “B” as they lost 22-14 to Harborough Diamonds.  Nicole Bird had a disastrous match only scoring one point out of twelve and team mates Matthew Rushton and Antonio Jaraices were unable to score enough to bridge this deficit.  


The closest match of the round was Kettering Town “B’s” 21-19 victory over Harborough Rangers.   Liam Burnham got Rangers off to a good start with a 3-1 win over Jim Chatburn.  The next three games were halved to leave Rangers 9-7 in front.  Chatburn then put Town “B” in the lead 11-9 with a 4-0 win over Phil Dixon.  Up stepped Mike Brocklebank with a 4-0 win over Alan Woolston to restore Rangers two point lead 13-11.   Ann Woolston then tied up the match again with a 3-1 win over Phil Dixon.  Alan Woolston then halved with Burnham and the scores were still tied at 16-16.  Game 9 then proved decisive with Jim Chatburn beating Brocklebank 3-1 to restore Town’s lead for the second time.  Ann Woolston and Jim Chatburn and Burnham and Brocklebank then halved the doubles and a very close and exciting match finished 21-19.


Westfield “A” demonstrated why they are romping away with the Premier League when they thrashed shell shocked Rothborough Comets 27-9.  Steve Silk scored a maximum, very rarely achieved in this competition and was backed up by Roman Stefanov with 9.  Pete Sturgess, Alan Brisley and Ivor Jones had few successes scoring just three points each.


Nathan Brown produced his best performance of the season so far when scoring nine points for Corby “D” in their 24-16 success over Thrapston Eagles.  Tom Cardwell scored eight points with Dan Bottrill’s five to secure the win.  Steve West halved twice in a 3-1 win over Bottrill and was Eagles star performer.


Nigel Metcalfe and Mike Hawes again starred for Kettering Town “A” in their 25-11 victory over Thrapston Harriers.  Town were never behind but Alan Tyler produced the win of the night defeating John Fuller 4-0.


The match between Rothborough Dakotas and Harborough Rovers was always close and after seven games Dakotas held a slender 16-12 lead.   Games 8 and 9 proved decisive with Pete Rowbotham whitewashing Sam Burgess and then Lauren Ainsworth beat younger brother Jamie 3-1 and the match was won.


After five games Corby “A” had opened up a 17-3 lead over Harborough Athletic and the result looked to be a foregone conclusion.   Many teams would have given up but credit to Athletic they fought back and scored 13 points to Corby “A’s” 7 in the remaining five games for a more respectable scoreline of 24-16.




Kettering Town “A” 4 Hawes (+4) 2, Metcalfe (+2) 2 Westfield “D” 5 Mistry (+4) 3, Malpass (+12), Alder (+13)

Rothborough Arrows 6 Jones (+2), Watts (SCR) 3, Lewis (+4) 2 Harborough Imps 3 Palfrey (+11) 2, Lauder (+14)

Rothborough Comets 2 M Watts (SCR) 2 Kettering Town “B” 7 Chatburn (+8) 3, Scrivener (+9) 2, Millman (+10) 2

Higham 2 Elliott (SCR) 2 Corby “C” 7 Woolston (+13) 2, McLaren (+15) 2, Abraham (+14) 3

Thrapston Falcons 5 Baldock (SCR) 3, Payne (SCR), Marray (SCR) Burton Baptist “B” 4 Smith (+4) 2, Muggleton (SCR), Marshall (+3)

Thrapston Kites 3 Briggs (SCR) 2, Williams (SCR) Thrapston Harriers 6 Stockley (+9), Hankova (+10) 3, Burrows (+10) 2


Holders Thrapston Falcons kept their hopes alive of retaining the Borough Trophy following their narrow 5-4 victory over Burton Baptist “B”.  Ian Baldock was their trump card with a straight games maximum.  Nigel Payne and Anthony Marray chipped in with one win each.  Steve Smith’s double and one each from Derek Muggleton and Kelvin Marshall replied for Burton.  The result could have gone either way with Nigel and Anthony’s wins over Derek and Steve being decided on the third ends 27-25 and 23-21. 


The shock result of the round was Westfield “D’s” 5-4 win over Kettering Town “A”.  The tie was decided in game 9 when Bhavika Mistry completed her treble defeating Nigel Metcalfe 21-14, 15-21, 21-12.  Metcalfe and Hawes both scored doubles with Paul Malpass and Chris Holder replying with one each for Westfield “D”.  Town’s skipper John Fuller drew a straight ends blank and this result will have the historians checking past records to find the last time this happened.


With Julian Marlow unavailable for Rothborough Arrows, Gareth Lewis was drafted in as his replacement and he obliged with two wins to secure a 6-3 victory over Harborough Imps.   Helen Watts scored a straight games maximum and Ivor Jones’ 21-19, 21-19 win over the unlucky David Patmore produced the sixth point. Ron Palfrey’s double and Ian Lauder’s single replied for Imps.


Having lost to Rothborough Comets in the first round of the Points Cup Kettering Town “B” took their revenge and produced a 7-2 victory.  Injury hit Town called on super veteran Dennis Millman for his second game of the season and he duly obliged with a double.   Pete Scrivener scored a double and Jim Chatburn a treble although all these were gained by the long route.  Martin Watts had straight game wins over Millman and Scrivener but lost out narrowly 17-21 in the decider with Chatburn.


The all Thrapston clash between Kites and Harriers ended 6-3 in favour of Harriers.  The decisive factor was Marta Hankova’s treble in a close match with six of the nine games needing a deciding end to produce a winner.   Peter Briggs scored a double for Kites with Mike Burrows matching it for Harriers.


With Higham already out of the Points Cup and Millman Salver they were looking for a longer run in the Borough Trophy but it was not to be as they were eliminated 7-2 by Corby “C”.   Corby took the first five games in straight ends and the match was over.   Richard Elliott won games 6 and 8 to give the score a bit more respectability but it was too little too late for Higham.  They can now concentrate all their efforts on the Premier division.  Stewart Abraham was Corby’s star with a straight games maximum.


Author: via Kettering Table Tennis League
Article Published:
Last Updated:
Share This Page