Portishead Table Tennis Club member Jake Tucker has won the President’s Cup. Introduced last year by club president, Chris Stone, the award goes to the junior player (under 18) who has made the most improvement during the year.
The judging panel were particularly impressed as Jake not only jumped two divisions to play in the Bristol League Division 3 this season, he and his team won the Bristol and District Table Tennis Division 3 title, they also won the Bristol Mordecai Cup, won both The Weston Table Tennis League Division 1 and the Weston League Archdale Cup, and Jake also played up in the Bristol Premier Division and won a match there.
He also won the National League with the juniors and represented the club at various regional competitions, taking prizes at most of them. Jake played for and captained Portishead Sharks to win the Bristol and District Table Tennis summer league.
Jake had served as a Young Ambassador for the club, our first and one of the first in the country, and he was also jointly responsible for organising and running the tournament in tribute to Deon Riley raising an amazing £725 for the British Heart Foundation.
Chris Stone said he was delighted with the choice and that Jake was a true ambassador for the club and a very worthy winner.
Jake will be playing for Portishead team in the Bristol League Division 1 as well playing both senior and junior British League matches this season.
Below is a full list of Jake’s achievement last season:
· Won Bristol and District Table Tennis division 3 league with highest personal averages in the division.
· Jake’s team Portishead Sharks won the Bristol Table Tennis summer league.
· Jake captained a double winning team in the Weston Table Tennis league. The team won both division 1 and the Archdale cup and Jake got the highest average award as well.
· Jake has represented Somerset in the school nationals under 19’s tournament as well as representing inter regionals for the Southwest and the team won Gold, to get selected you had to come in the top 4 for the southwest!.
· Jake has also won the under 15s and 18s in the Bridgewater tournament and finished as a doubles runner up.
· Bristol Table Tennis Closed Tournament Divisional 3-5 Singles runner up and Doubles winner.
· Bristol Juniors Tournament under 15’s Winner, Under 18’s Runner up and Doubles winner.
· National Cadets in Cirencester team SGS Winner.
· National Juniors Division 1 team Portishead Winner.
· Jake also entered his last cadet tournament at JLM Academy and won cadet and runner up in the juniors.
· Jake’s ranking points for cadet is now 78 and last year when he started completing he was 265. Jake now goes into junior points.
Jake has been selected to play both senior and junior British Leagues this year. He will be playing in Bristol League Division 1 for Portishead.