Herald Report January 12th


West Warwicks were on fine form to secure their most emphatic result of the season when they entertained Shottery B. Alison Stewart and Andy Rowland both chalked up trebles, although the latter twice had to overturn deficits before clinching the decider against Tim Fell. Jim Ferguson added a brace for the Solihull team, but was unable to get the better of Fell who thereby recorded the visitors' consolation victory. 
Shottery B were also in action in a rearranged Christmas time fixture at Henley A to which Fell brought a selection of mince pies thereby greatly improving the usual half-time cuisine. The hosts raced to a 4 - 0 lead, with two of those successes coming from the bat of Mike Evetts who went on to register a perfect outing for himself. Peter Quince and Geoff Shephard also chalked up early victories, but were unable to add to them during the evening as their opponents battled back. Dave Milton won two for the visitors, including a five game marathon against Shephard, whilst Tony Remes also got his name on the card. Shephard was also taken to the wire by Fell but, despite securing the first two games, it was his opposite number who emerged victorious. However the Henley captain had the last word after successfully partnering Evetts in the doubles to ensure the fixture ended 6 - 4 in their favour. 
It also ended 6 - 4 when Shottery C took on Ashorne. Rob Poole delivered the star performance acquiring a treble with something to spare and taking the doubles with Chris Bowles. However that was all his Shottery side were able to muster as Mark Kingham, Brian Marston and John Hunt all went home with braces for Ashorne, although the latter was given an early scare by Bowles. 
Shottery's third string lost out again at Littleton. Poole came from behind to claim the scalp of Derek Close and finished with a brace after also getting the better of Andrew Gretton. Unfortunately he was unable to make it a perfect evening after losing out to Andrew's son  Alex.  Bowles certainly got value for money as all three of his sets went the distance. However he only managed to secure victory over the younger Gretton who battled back after conceeding the first two games only to be edged out in the fifth. Bowles then experienced contrasting fortunes when taking on Andrew Gretton losing the first two games before drawing level, but then being unable to clinch the decider. The Shottery doubles pairing of Bowles and Poole were also taken to the wire but could not close out the set. Each of the Littleton players finished the fixture with braces as it ended 7 - 3 in their favour. 
Author: via Stratford-upon-Avon Table Tennis League
Article Published:
Share This Page