Herald Report January 26th

Newcomers Henley B were unlucky not to claim that elusive first victory when they entertained Littleton. Captain Rob McCluskey led from the front producing a treble despite being taken to the wire by Alex Gretton. Veteran Gordon Trinder put in another determined display for Henley but was unable to reap his deserved reward. He won the first game against Derek Close, only for his opponent to turn the tide and close out the set. Trinder then overturned a two game disadvantage to take Alex Gretton to a decider before being narrowly edged out. In another set to go the distance Trinder was pipped at the post by Andrew Gretton. Dave Hatcher found himself two games to the good against Close but the Littleton player fought back to win their encounter. All three of the visitors finished with braces which, with the addition of the doubles, was enough to ensure they went home 3 - 7 to the good.

League leaders Shottery A had an unusually comfortable evening when they took on their own second string. They achieved a convincing 9 - 1 victory with Tim Fell securing Shottery B's consolation success against Graham Poole. Gary Stewart and Stephen Foster weren't fully stretched as they chalked up quick trebles to ensure there was plenty of time for their usual celebratory drinks.

Royal Mail took an early lead against West Warwicks when Malcolm Heritage overcame Alison Stewart. However, after that it was downhill all the way for the Postmen as their opponents claimed each of the remaining nine sets. Andy Rowland notched a treble with something to spare, while Colin Bishop was also undefeated after being involved in successful marathons against Wilf Chan and Heritage. Chan was subsequently unlucky to lose out to Alison Stewart as their fifth game ended 15 - 17 in her favour.

West Warwicks made it successive 9 - 1 victories when they played host to fellow Knights Lane tenants FISSC. Although Rowland was delayed by work commitments it certainly didn't hamper his performance as he achieved another treble without the loss of a game. Bishop was again unbeaten despite being taken the distance by Malcolm Smith. Peter Rodwell secured a brace but was unable to overcome Peter Florence who, in a keenly fought contest, earned the Farmers' only score. The main talking point of the evening was the slippery floor which caused two players to end up horizontal although, fortunately, serious injury was avoided. 

Author: via Stratford-upon-Avon Table Tennis League
Article Published:
Share This Page