Herald Report Week Three

Henley Pasties came away from Shottery C with a 7-3 victory following trebles from Tom Shortley and Mike Credland, although the final result could have been very different as both players had to overturn early disadvantages before winning over the distance. Each staged a late comeback against John Price, whilst Credland also defeated David Lincoln-Lewis in similar fashion. For the hosts Price and Rob Poole got the better of an unusually lacklustre Mike Evetts before combining to claim the doubles in another five-game encounter.

Shottery B also enjoyed a 7-3 win at Henley A. Their new signing Awais Muhammed maintained his great start with another unbeaten performance gained without reply, while Tim Fell notched a brace but lost out to Peter Quince in the only contest to go to the wire. Tony Remes claimed their seventh set whilst Quince finished with two wins for the hosts and Don McAdam added their other score.

It was yet another 7-3 result as Shottery A  overcame Blazing Paddles. Gary Stewart secured a treble, but neither Graham Poole or Stephen Foster was able to get the better of Nello Mauri who also successfully partnered Wilf Chan in the doubles.

In their next outing Blazing Paddles lost out by the narrowest of margins to visitors Shottery C. The opening clash between the two captains proved decisive as Rob Poole overcame a two-game deficit to win over the distance before going on to register a perfect singles performance. He was ably assisted by David Lincoln-Lewis who claimed victories over both Dave Fordham and Wilf Chan in the deciders. However the two Shottery players were unable to add the doubles after losing the longest game of the season 16-18 to Mauri and Fordham, but the team edged home with a victory from debutant Kevin Taylor.

West Warwicks owed their 6-4 win over Henley B to captain Alison Stewart who came through unbeaten despite being taken to deciders by Stuart Latham-Marr and in the doubles where she and Andy Rowland eventually triumphed. Rowland gained the team’s other two sets while Latham-Marr earned a brace for their opponents with Robert McCluskey and Dave Hatcher each getting on the card.

Mick Welsh led the way for newcomers Tanworth Taipans winning his three sets without the loss of a game as they overcame Ashorne again by a 6-4 scoreline. He and Tim Lawrence added the doubles with Lawrence and Stuart Wilson securing further wins. Steve Handsley was their opponents’ star player with a brace, whilst Chris Bowles and Jim Jack shared their other successes.

Welsh notched another treble in Taipans following fixture against Veterans but that was all his team could muster as John Hunt, George Mudie and Mark Kingham all went home with braces.

Ashorne were subsequently on the receiving end of a whitewash at West Warwicks where Stewart, Rowland and Peter Rodwell were all in top form. Rodwell was involved in both sets to go to a decider and found himself two games down to Bowles before turning the tide to take the honours.

It was a little more one-sided as FISSC went down 9-1 at Henley Pasties. Credland and the back-to-form Evetts were unbeaten for the hosts who won the first nine sets without conceding a game but, in the final encounter of the fixture, Malcolm Smith salvaged some pride for the Farmers by overcoming Jason Rainey 13-11 in the fifth.

Author: via Stratford-upon-Avon Table Tennis League
Article Published:
Last Updated:
Share This Page