Herald Report Week Nine

Henley Pasties gave a debut to the highly ranked Sam Henderson when they entertained Shottery B. The change paid dividends as he notched a treble without the loss of a game, with his victory over the previously unbeaten Awais Muhammed producing some particularly fine table tennis. Tom Shortley and Mike Credland added braces for Pasties enabling them to inflict the only league defeat of the campaign upon their opponents. However neither was able to get the better of Muhammed whose clash with Credland proved the most competitive of the evening as the Shottery player lost the first two games before staging a recovery, which included saving two set points in the fourth, and eventually claiming the decider.


Henley A gained their first win of the season at FISSC. Peter Quince led the way with a treble despite being made to work hard by Mark Jones. The farmer was on the receiving end in the first two games but turned his fortunes around to take their set to a decider only to lose out 12-10. In the other contest to go the full distance Peter Florence won the first game against Geoff Shephard but lost the next two and trailed 10-7 in the fourth. However a run of ten straight points saw him well placed in the fifth as he went on to gain his first ever league win over the Henley captain. Florence finished on a brace with Jones adding their other score. Shephard won two for Henley and Don McAdam claimed their other singles with the pair also successful in the doubles.


In the opening set of their fixture Tanworth Taipans’ Mick Welsh overturned a two game deficit to defeat Henley B captain Robert McCluskey. Unfortunately Taipans were unable to build on that initial success as all the remaining contests went the way of their opponents. However Welsh was involved in both the other sets to go to a decider, losing out to Stuart Latham-Marr and to the same player and Dave Milton in the doubles.

Taipans were also defeated 7-3 by West Warwicks for whom Alison Stewart was untroubled with Geoff Shephard adding a brace and Peter Rodwell their sixth singles as well as combining with Stewart to add the doubles.  Welsh was the pick of their opponents with two wins while Stuart Wilson earned their third.


Blazing Paddles imposed the whitewash on Ashorne with Nello Mauri and Dave Fordham notching trebles without reply. The team’s new recruit Harry Azima had to work harder, and was also involved in the longest game of the match defeating Roger Pye 19-17, but will have been pleased to eventually come through unbeaten.
Author: via Stratford-upon-Avon Table Tennis League
Article Published:
Last Updated:
Share This Page