Stratford Herald week beginning March 12th
Shottery A boosted their chances of retaining the league title by imposing the whitewash upon FISSC. Gary Stewart, Stephen Foster and Graham Poole conceded just four sets, thereby ensuring they were able to make it to their customary celebration drink in good time.

Their close rivals Snitterfield won a rearranged fixture with Henley B 8-2. John Price and Clive Irwin recorded trebles before the pair also combined to secure the doubles. Alison Stewart added their other score, with Dave Milton and Robert McCluskey getting on the card for Henley B.


Ashorne proved that patience pays off after achieving their first victory since returning to the league three years ago. They overcame Veterans 6-4, although that result looked unlikely after the first four games. Peter Rodwell gained an opening win, while David Wye traded alternate sets with Steve Handsley and Jim Jack before overcoming each in the decider to give Veterans an early 3-1 lead. However, in a dramatic change of fortune, the villagers claimed all the remaining singles, with Roger Pye recording a match-winning treble, Handsley a brace and Jim Jack their crucial sixth point. In the final contest of the fixture, Wye and David Higgins secured the doubles over the full distance, despite winning four points less than the Veterans’ pair during the encounter, but it wasn’t enough to prevent Ashorne finally enjoying a well earned success.


Shottery B were only represented by two players when they visited Blazing Paddles, but it was still enough to come away with a 6-4 win. In a marathon contest between the two captains Nello Mauri looked poised to take the honours for Paddles when, already with a set advantage, he led 7-1 in the fourth. However Tim Fell launched a brilliant recovery to earn the next ten points and then went on to claim the game 13-11 in the decider. The pair also competed against each other in the doubles where Fell, in partnership with Gareth Hepworth, delivered a repeat performance by winning over the distance by the same score. However Mauri was determined to earn some reward for Paddles and, although taken to a fifth end after building an initial two set advantage, he recorded his first ever victory over Hepworth with an 11-9 win in the finale.


Tanworth Taipans booked their place in the knockout cup final by defeating Colebridge Pasties. At the close of play their team of Tim Lawrence, Ben Rycroft-Stanley and Mick Welsh were 41 points short of their opponents’ total, but the handicap adjustment converted this to a winning margin of 38. The Taipans  will have home advantage when they contest the trophy with JLM Falcons during the week commencing 26th March.
Author: via Stratford-upon-Avon Table Tennis League
Article Published:
Last Updated:
Share This Page