The remaining four teams in the knockout cup played out a couple of tantalisingly close contests to determine who will compete at the final stage. Shottery B captain Tim Fell contributed 53 of the 75 points by which his team led their visitors Ashorne after open play. He was well supported by cup debutante Gareth Hepworth, who acquired 29 points, with Tony Remes falling just short of parity. John Hunt was on good form for Ashorne, who currently hold the trophy, but was unable to lead them to further glory as, after application of the handicap adjustment of 66 points, his team finished just nine short of the required total.As evidence of the accuracy of the new individual player handicapping system the margin of victory was even closer when Royal Mail travelled to Henley A. Nello Mauri led the way for the visitors by accumulating a total of 42 points more than his opponents over the course of their three matches. Although the other two Postmen each finished with a small deficit their team's winning margin of 19 received a handicap adjustment of just 13 which was enough to see them through by a mere six points.The final is due to be played during the week commencing 18th March with Shottery B drawn at home to Royal Mail.

Meanwhile, in a rearranged league fixture, West Warwicks maintained their recent good form coming away with a well earned victory from their fellow Knights Lane tenants FISSC. Alison Stewart provided the backbone to the team's success with an excellent attacking display to which her three opponents had no answer. In a see-saw encounter Jim Ferguson lost both the first and third games to Malcolm Smith before finally winning the match over the distance. Ferguson chalked up a brace after overturning an initial deficit to overcome Peter Bruce-Moore but was then frustrated by Peter Florence's ploy of playing everything to his weaker side and lost out to the Farmer over four keenly contested games.
Peter Rodwell lost his opening game to Smith and was on the wrong end of a fine 'edge' to find himself 6 - 9 down in the second. To his credit, far from letting his head drop, he seemed to draw inner strength to secure not only that game but also the following two. Rodwell made an even more impressive recovery against Florence where, despite loss of their first two games, he took the next three with something to spare. However he was unable to claim a personal treble after losing out to Bruce-Moore over the distance. The doubles also went to a decider before Stewart and Ferguson emerged victorious by the narrowest of margins over the FISSC pairing of Smith and Bruce-Moore as the evening finished 2 - 8 in their favour.

Last Updated:
Share This Page