Shottery A demonstrated the gulf between themselves and their own B team by handing out a 9 - 1 defeat. The seniors were prevented from inflicting the whitewash by Tim Fell who got the better of Graham Poole, but this disappointment was overshadowed by the fact that their second string were only able to offer tea at the half time break. Gary Stewart and Stephen Foster both put in perfect performances for the league leaders, while Dave Milton can consider himself unlucky for Shottery B after overturning early disadvantages against both Foster and Poole to take 2 - 1 leads only to lose out to each over the distance.

It was much tighter for Shottery A when they travelled to Henley A. Despite racing to an early 0 - 5 lead they were then pegged back as the match ended 4 - 6 which was the hosts best ever result against their opponents. Stewart notched another treble while Foster added a brace which included a five game success over Geoff Shephard. Even closer was the set between Peter Quince and Poole which the match card described as the most hard fought encounter ever seen with Quince clinching the decider 11 - 9. Mike Evetts added  two successes for Henley as well as combining with Shephard to inflict a rare defeat on the near invincible Stewart - Foster doubles partnership.

Henley A reversed the scoreline in their next fixture at Royal Mail. In the opening game of the evening the Postmen's captain Nello Mauri took seven of the first eight points against Evetts only for his opponent to turn it round and claim the set as part of a well - earned treble. Shephard notched a brace with Quince, who had earlier lost out over the distance to Malcolm Heritage, winning an epic in like manner against Richard Dalrymple. For the hosts Mauri recorded two successes and, in another marathon, also clinched the doubles with Heritage.

Ashorne gained three successive 6 - 4 victories. George Mudie, John Hunt and Brian Marston earned braces against Henley B but all succumbed to the in -form Robert McCluskey. However he was given a scare by Marston who led their fourth game 10 - 5 only for McCluskey to hit a purple patch and win eight of the next nine points before going on to make it a perfect evening for himself by claiming the doubles with Gordon Trinder.

When Ashorne entertained Shottery C it was Rob Poole who proved the thorn in their side with a treble although he was taken to the wire by Mark Kingham who had earlier won over the distance against Chris Bowles. However it was more clear cut in Kingham's third set where he was unable to overcome the determination of veteran Gordon Round who chalked up a well-deserved straight-games victory.

The pattern was repeated when Ashorne entertained Littleton as it was Graham Briscombe who notched a treble for their opponents while Derek Close also tasted success. However braces for Hunt and Mudie, and a victory for Marsden together with the doubles, was enough to earn Ashorne the points.

Littleton then lost out to second placed West Warwicks for whom Andy Rowland and Jim Ferguson put in perfect performances. Littleton were greatly handicapped by a shoulder injury to the in-form Alex Gretton which prevented him playing his usual attacking game although he still managed to get on the card along with Close as they lost out 2 - 8.

Last Updated:
Share This Page