West Warwicks opened their season by entertaining Royal Mail in a very competitive fixture. Jim Ferguson recorded a treble for the Solihull side but was made to fight to the end by Nello Mauri before he was able to clinch the decider 14 - 12. Their other two successes came from the bat of Alison Stewart who thereby ensured honours on the night were even. For the Postmen Mauri notched a brace, with Malcolm Heritage and Richard Dalrymple also getting on the card while their team secured the crucial doubles.

It was another close contest when Henley A welcomed Shottery B. Robert McCluskey stepped up from the hosts' second string and proved a very able substitute with two wins, which included victory over the distance over Dave Milton after initially being two games down. Milton enjoyed another marathon against Geoff Shepherd but, this time, was able to overturn an early disadvantage to edge home. Shepherd claimed his other two matches and also demonstrated his unique captaincy skills with selection of the doubles partnership by the 'odd man out' of three coins! Unfortunately Shepherd and Peter Quince, who were so chosen, just failed to get the better of their opponents and so it is rumoured that next week paper,scissors and stone will be utilised! Milton and Tim Fell both finished with braces for Shottery B with Tony Remes adding their other success which was enough to see their team secure the fixture 4 - 6.

Henley A were more fortunate when they travelled to Shottery C. Stuart Ayres returned to their line-up and notched two wins as did Quince, but he was made to work hard by Chris Bowles as their encounter went the distance. However neither of the two Henley players was able to get the better of Rob Poole, although Quince was probably optimistic after taking the first game with the loss of just four points before his opponent got into his stride. It was Shepherd who proved the star of the show as he chalked up a perfect singles performance, which included victory over Poole in another match to go to the wire. Shepherd sat out the doubles but his colleagues did him proud enabling their team to return home with a winning 2 - 8 final scoreline.

In their next outing Shottery C visited Henley B who must have had high hopes of a positive result when leading 3 - 2 at the break. However it was their opponents who drew strength from the half-time tea as they went on to inflict the third 4 - 6 defeat of the season upon the hosts. Poole apparently had more than his fair share of 'edges' as he recorded an unbeaten performance, while Andrew Gretton helped himself to a brace and the pair shared success in the doubles. McCluskey recorded two wins for Henley B with Gordon Trinder and Dave Hatcher adding their other scores.

Last Updated:
Share This Page