TOWCESTER & DISTRICT TABLE TENNIS LEAGUE  

MINUTES OF AGM HELD ON TUESDAY 26th JUNE 2018 IN ROTHERSTHORPE VILLAGE HALL

Present: Peter Kent (Chair), Rod Barr, Eddie Dennis, Dave Hyde, Phil Kibble, Mike Perry, Bob Read,

Alan Thompson, Ray Wood, Tony Woodward. (All clubs represented).

Apologies: Ian Brown, Iain Lindsay, Paul Nichols, Peter Ratcliffe, Fred Wakefield.

Matters arising from last AGM & Committee meeting:

  • Special mention had been made last year about the incidence of illegal serving (and thereby gaining an advantage) but it was noted that some senior players were still guilty of this. All club secretaries to address this issue once more with all their players at the start of the season.
  • Minutes of 20th March Committee meeting and 2017 AGM signed.

Chairman’s Report: Peter congratulated all trophy winners and expressed thanks to all players for taking part in league events and to all officers and helpers for their work throughout the season. 

Treasurer’s Report: Mike presented the audited accounts for the last two seasons and reported funds of £2,770.25 although he had only just received the historical information allowing him to finalise the accounts and submit to Dave for auditing. One unresolved item from the previous season concerned registration fees from Roade and Tony agreed to trawl through his old chequebooks to help trace this item. It was agreed that team fees for next season should remain at £30.

Secretary’s Report:

·         Volunteers - Rod expressed concern that despite his written appeal distributed with the AGM agenda and his appeal at the Presentation Evening asking for additional help with league administration, no-one had so far volunteered. He repeated that he was intending to progressively relinquish his various roles and an orderly rather than precipitous handover was his preferred option. 

·         Data Protection (GDPR) – new EU legislation. Rod had previously written to all officers, club and team contacts, but every player was required to agree the amount/level of personal information we had access to. He would issue further information ready for the new season.

·         County & National – Rod reported on the ill health of long-serving County Chairman Ken Marchant and opined that big changes were likely coming soon to County administration. The upcoming TTE AGM would vote on the proposed uplift in individual membership fees to £16 for seniors and £8 for juniors and cadets. 

Annual Tournament Report: Ian had sent his report which commented that:-

·         Overall more players entered than last year (30, up from 21) and entry fees increased (£249, up from £161).

·         The handicap singles was popular and saw some really close results.

·         Scheduling events to a particular evening worked well and, despite losing an hour on the second evening, all matches were completed.

·         Juniors should be encouraged to enter the open events, giving them more table time and experience of tournament conditions.

·         It was unfortunate all the players from Daventry Aces were absent (other league’s matches) – they would undoubtedly have enhanced the level of competition.

·         Special thanks to Dave and Bev Hyde for venue organizing, scheduling matches and allocating handicaps for each round.

·         Overall – a successful event, so unless feedback suggests otherwise, same format proposed for next year which Ian is happy to organize.

Handicap Cup Report: Mike reported on a competition with only one walkover, an overall average points difference of less than a point per game and a Final with just a two point margin. He thanked Rod for his handicapping work throughout the competition and noted that he was now relinquishing this particular duty.

Presentation Evening Report: 53 paying attendees including Towcester’s Mayor and Mayoress. Mike had organized the event and Peter the trophies which were presented by the Mayor Peter Conquest, League Vice President Dave Hyde and President Rod Barr. Mike also presided over a highly successful raffle. General feedback was that it had been another worthwhile and well organized event.

Proposed amendments to rules: Submissions from Iain Lindsay (Proposal 1) and Rod (Proposals 2 & 3) had been received and circulated (and detailed at the end of these minutes). Rod checked that all attendees had received the proposal and notes emailed separately by Iain rather than issued as usual with the AGM agenda. The meeting discussed each proposal and the following summarised comments were recorded:-

Proposal 1:       

·         Does not limit the number of postponed matches - which is exactly the same problem as occurred this season. If the majority of matches are not played as scheduled, or if ‘crucial’ matches are postponed to the end of the season, this arguably disadvantages those teams who do fulfil their fixtures on time. Although every team would wish to play every fixture with their strongest players, player unavailability should not be used as an excuse for routine postponements.

·         Postponements ‘must occur prior to the original match date’ or ‘result in an automatic 5 point penalty’ – this doesn’t allow for on-the-day emergencies.

·         There is no deterrence or penalty for postponement, only for not informing Divisional Secretaries.

Proposals 2 & 3:

·         ‘Postponed and rescheduled matches are still outstanding until actually played’ – this was felt to be difficult to police and although Rod explained that this would not apply to future matches being rearranged, it was deemed to be confusing. Rod therefore withdrew his proposals. 

Tony commented and the meeting agreed that it was clear none of the submitted proposals could muster enough support and it was therefore vital that all clubs and officers understood the rules in place and the reasoning behind them and that they were applied consistently.

Mike said that during the discussions he had formulated alternative proposals, however it was noted that this would not meet General Meeting rules. It was therefore agreed that if amended proposals were submitted for discussion at the August league formation meeting, this could double-up as an Extraordinary General Meeting and a vote taken then.           

Election of Officers:

  • Chairman - Peter suggested it should be possible to find a better organized Chairman – however no-one present volunteered. Dave agreed to speak to Robert George about his Vice Chairman’s role which ideally should be filled by a regular attendee and Peter agreed to continue for the time being.
  • County Representative – Rod confirmed he had resigned as National Councillor and another league representative would be welcome to attend a reduced number of three County meetings. Mike volunteered.
  • There were no volunteers to take over the Registration Secretary or Webmaster roles which Rod performed although Jane & Reece Hobson had volunteered to produce the league fixtures.
  • All other officers’ roles and incumbents to continue as before. 

Development/Planning for next season:

  • Clubs were asked to think about their teams for next season. Daventry, Rothersthorpe and Towcester detailed their closed season coaching/practice activities.

Date of next meeting: Tuesday 21st August 2017, 7.30pm in Rothersthorpe Village Hall. Mike to book. Rod to circulate team registration forms for return by this meeting - all club secretaries to ensure they have confirmed their team entries in advance.  

AOB: Rod and Dave commented on the 90th Birthday celebrations for Sue Gibbons attended by representatives from all Division Three teams. Everyone at the league Presentation Evening had an opportunity to sign her birthday card and ideas for a further acknowledgement or award were  discussed.

Meeting concluded at 9.45 pm.

 

PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO RULES

Proposal 1 (Iain Lindsay)

Replace Rule 9 with the following: 

9a)     Any team wishing to postpone a match must:

1)   obtain the consent of the opposing team and then inform the Divisional Secretary of the postponement. These actions must occur prior to the original match date.

2)   agree a mutually convenient date with the opposing team and then inform the Divisional Secretary of the new date.  These actions must occur no later than 3 weeks after the original match date.  The match itself must be played by the end of the season, i.e. one week after the last scheduled league matches.

Failure to comply with (1) above will result in an automatic 5 point penalty for the team that requested the postponement.  Failure to comply with (2) above will result in a further automatic 5 point penalty for the team that requested the postponement. 

9b)    Teams are not permitted to 'double up the points' to avoid playing a match. In the event of any match remaining unplayed, the committee will decide if and how many points should be awarded.

 

Proposal 2 (Rod Barr)

Replace Rule 9 with the following:

9a. Regardless of who requests a postponement, teams are permitted a maximum of two league matches outstanding at any one time. Postponed and rescheduled matches are still considered to be outstanding until actually played. Teams exceeding the two-match rule will incur a five point penalty on each occasion.

9b. Postponements must be by mutual consent and notice given immediately to the relevant Divisional Secretary by the team requesting the postponement. It is then the home team’s responsibility to offer reasonable alternative dates and, within two weeks of the original match date, to agree a new date and inform the relevant Divisional Secretary accordingly. If notice is not given to the Divisional Secretary as described above, a five point penalty will be incurred by the relevant team.

9c. All league matches must be completed by the end of the season, i.e. one week after the last scheduled league matches published in handbooks. Note that it is not acceptable for teams to ‘double-up the points’ to avoid playing a match. In the event of any match remaining unplayed, the Committee will decide if and how many points should be awarded and whether any additional points deduction is warranted.

 

Proposal 3 (Rod Barr)

Replace Rule 9 with the following:

9a. Matches may be played prior to their scheduled dates, but teams wishing to postpone matches because of unavailability of players will incur a five point penalty on each occasion. Regardless of who requests a postponement, teams are permitted a maximum of two league matches outstanding at any one time. Postponed and rescheduled matches are still considered to be outstanding until actually played. Teams exceeding the two-match rule will incur a five point penalty on each occasion.

9b. Postponements must be by mutual consent and notice given immediately to the relevant Divisional Secretary by the team requesting the postponement. It is then the home team’s responsibility to offer reasonable alternative dates and, within two weeks of the original match date, to agree a new date and inform the relevant Divisional Secretary accordingly. If notice is not given to the Divisional Secretary as described above, a five point penalty will be incurred by the relevant team.

9c. All league matches must be completed by the end of the season, i.e. one week after the last scheduled league matches published in handbooks. Note that it is not acceptable for teams to ‘double-up the points’ to avoid playing a match. In the event of any match remaining unplayed, the Committee will decide if and how many points should be awarded and whether any additional points deduction is warranted.

 

Last Updated:
Share This Page