TOWCESTER & DISTRICT TABLE TENNIS LEAGUE
MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 29TH JANUARY 2019 IN ROTHERSTHORPE VILLAGE HALL
Present: Peter Kent (chair), Rod Barr, Phillip Kibble, Mike Perry, Alan Thompson, Ray Wood, Fred Wakefield.
Roade club not represented.
Apologies for absence: Ian Brown, Eddie Dennis, Dave Hyde, Iain Lindsay.
Matters arising from last meeting:
· Rod had presented Sue Gibbons with her commemorative glass bowl at Bugbrooke and Sue had written to thank everyone for their kindness.
Treasurer’s Report: Mike reported current funds of £2,742.10.
Divisional Progress Reports:
· Division One – Rod read Iain’s report which highlighted only two outstanding matches, both having been rearranged with February dates.
· Division Two – Fred reported no major issues though he had still to rearrange an October match versus Daventry Bees who had cancelled on the day because two of their players were waiting in the local A&E department.
· Division Three – Rod read Dave’s report which confirmed all matches up-to-date.
Handicap Cup Draw: Mike reported that all matches in Rounds One and Two had been played. The majority of matches had been won by acceptable margins and some by single figures. Two Daventry teams had sportingly played each other in a two-a-side match when one team could not field a third player. Results and reports are on the website.
Vic Fisher Memorial Doubles: Ray confirmed that Yardley club were happy to host this event once again on Tuesday 26th February (Cup week Round Three but no scheduled matches). He would issue the entry forms asap.
Annual Tournament: Daytime Saturday 30th March with Finals Night Monday 1st April. Ian’s proposals for the event were discussed and approved including entries and draw preparations. Unfortuantely Ian would be absent for the actual event and Dave & Bev Hyde would conduct matters as Tournament Referees. All clubs were asked to encourage their players to enter. Rod would circulate the Entry Form and upload to the website.
Gerald Furniss Memorial Handicap: End of season event for players in Divisions Two and Three. Mike would check whether Towcester club would organize and host this again.
Presentation Dinner: Mike had booked The Saracen’s Head for Saturday 8th June (the earliest available). He would deal with all venue arrangements, menu, tickets, etc. and Peter volunteered to order the trophies again.
AGM: Possible dates were discussed including 18th June, but this unfortunately clashed with some holidays. Despite the close proximity to the Presentation Evening and impact on financial accounts preparation, Mike confirmed he would be happy with Tuesday 11th June.
County/National Report: County committee meeting tonight (changed from yesterday) so apologies had been sent. Coaching Officer Henry Arthur intends to visit Towcester and Daventry leagues. County AGM planned for Monday 20th May.
Next Meeting: Tuesday 26th March (no scheduled matches - Cup Semi Final week).
· John Mayes (the league’s first President until 1993) had recently died and Rod said he would attend the funeral and publish details as soon as they were known.
· Fred queried whether the website could be amended to highlight the ‘Player of the match’ for every league fixture. This is an automated calculation but does not attract any trophy or other award. There didn’t appear to be much interest or support for this but Rod said he saw no reason why it couldn’t be discussed at the AGM or the first meeting of next season and the function could be turned on and off at will.
· Alan repeated some comments from last meeting explaining that the loss of some players from Daventry Club had posed difficulties in fielding full teams and had prompted a reduction of their teams in the Daventry League from six to four. It was too early to say what the impact might be for next season.
Meeting closed at 8.30pm.