Shottery C caused the biggest upset of the season so far by deservedly coming away from Royal Mail with a 4 - 6 victory on a night when, unusually, Nello Mauri failed to deliver for the Postmen. Despite having enjoyed a recent rich vein of form he lost out for the first time ever to both Rob Poole and Chris Bowles. The latter's win was particularly impressive as he was outclassed in the first two games before turning the match around to eventually win the decider 9 - 11. Poole had a perfect evening and steered the village team to their unexpected success as, in addition to notching a singles treble, he and Bowles also chalked up the doubles over the distance. David L Lewis, who has continued to improve since joining Shottery C, claimed his first league scalp when he overcame Richard Dalrymple 15 - 17 in the fourth game. Malcolm Heritage, with a brace, was the pick of the Royal Mail side, although for once they were very much second class!

It also finished 4 - 6 when FISSC entertained Ashorne. John Hunt was the difference between the teams registering a treble with the loss of just a single game. The evening began brightly enough for the hosts as Malcolm Smith played his best table tennis of the season to beat George Mudie without reply. Subsequently the Farmer overturned a two game deficit to force a decider against Brian Marston and looked odds on to take the match when leading 10 - 8. However his opponent had other ideas and secured the next four points to earn a crucial win. Marston experienced a reversal of fortune against Peter Bruce-Moore as he led 10 - 6 in their opener only to lose the game. Despite recovering to claim the next two it was Bruce-Moore who emerged victorious by taking the decider. Peter Florence notched a brace for FISSC defeating both Mudie and Marston over four keenly contested games.

After years of each team being represented by the same lineup the Shottery A v B fixture had an unusual look to it with the two captains being the only regulars. The senior side drafted in John Price and Rob Poole, while a late call off meant their opponents were only able to field two players with Gareth Hepworth accompanying Tim Fell. Despite this the second string pulled off the best result so far this season against the league leaders by coming away with a three match haul. Hepworth claimed two A team scalps, thereby achieving what no other player has managed, while Fell also performed well to ensure Price ended the evening devoid of singles success. However he didn't go away entirely empty-handed after combining to secure the doubles with Stewart, who was again untroubled. Shottery A's other victory was earned by Poole who clearly relishes competing against Fell who he overcame for the third time this campaign.

High flying West Warwicks proved too strong for Henley B from where they returned home with a 1 - 9 victory. Henley's captain Robert McCluskey ensured the whitewash was avoided by defeating Pete Rodwell. The visiting player subsequently endeared himself to the hosts, when taking on Dave Hatcher, after calling an edge in his opponent's favour that the umpire had not seen, Rodwell's brace was supplemented by trebles from Andy Rowland and Alison Stewart, although the latter was made to work hard by McCluskey as their encounter went to the wire.

In their next outing Henley B registered a three game improvement on the early season result to demonstrate how the gap between themselves and their own A team is closing. Roadworks delayed the start of the fixture, with Stuart Ayres particularly unhappy after being forced to take a long detour. However that did not affect his performance as Ayres was the only unbeaten player and thereby provided the backbone to Henley A's narrow 6 - 4 success. Gordon Trinder put in a great display for the second string with wins over both Peter Quince and Geoff Shephard, while he later partnered Robert McCluskey, who also overcame Quince, to gain an unexpected doubles victory.

Last Updated:
Share This Page