FISSC 0 Shottery A 10

Shottery A 10 Veterans 0

Shottery C 5 Royal Mail 5

Royal Mail 3 West Warwicks 7

Henley A 8 Henley B 2

Shottery A began their title defence in style with successive whitewashes. They opened their campaign at FISSC who put up stern resistance against the champions. Malcolm Smith won the first game of the fixture against Gary Stewart, only for the Villagers' captain to get into his stride and go on to secure the set. The Farmer came even closer to success when he took on Stephen Foster in a clash that eventually went to the visitor in the decider. Foster also had to overturn early disadvantages against both Richard Bennett and Peter Bruce-Moore before claiming the honours. In the doubles Smith and Bruce-Moore took two games at deuce but were eventually edged out over the distance.

In their next outing Shottery A inflicted defeat upon Veterans for whom Martin Hamer made a league debut and acquitted himself well in what was a baptism of fire. John Hunt was the pick of the visitors being unfortunate to lose five games at deuce, including all three in his clash with Stewart. Stephen Foster played the last three singles sets in succession after arriving late while, in the absence of his father Graham, Rob Poole deputised and dropped just a single game, to George Mudie, over the course of the fixture.

It was a busy evening for Poole who was simultaneously in action on the adjacent table for his regular Shottery C team as they took on Royal Mail. He opened against opposition captain Nello Mauri who chalked up success over four games. Mauri stayed on the table to complete all three of his singles in succession, and the move paid off as he was rewarded with a treble. Wilf Chan and Dave Fordham both managed to overcome David Lincoln-Lewis with the latter encounter particularly close. However neither of the Postmen were able to defeat Poole or Ken Southwell who both notched braces for the hosts. Nevertheless Chan can consider himself particularly unlucky as, over the course of his five game set with Southwell, he scored two more points than his opponent.

Royal Mail then found themselves on the receiving end of what they considered an 'inspired' West Warwicks who featured two players that more regularly appear in Henley colours. Mauri fought hard to keep his team in the match winning all three of his singles which included a marathon against Robert McCluskey that was eventually settled in the decider. Peter Quince, Alison Stewart and McCluskey all earned braces for West Warwicks who also clinched the doubles 13-11 in the fifth game.

Geoff Shephard again left himself out as his Henley A side took on their second string for whom McCluskey secured both his team's successes. In the first match of the evening he lost 19-17 to Mike Evetts before his opponent got into his stride to secure the set with something to spare. McCluskey was also involved in the closest encounter finally defeating Peter Quince 15-13 in the decider. Evetts enjoyed a perfect performance while Quince and Don McAdam went home with braces.

Last Updated:
Share This Page