Henley B hosted the first fixture of the 2014 - 15 season when they took on Shottery B. The visitors were only able to field two players, but their line-up included Dave Milton for the first time in over 18 months after he made a welcome return to the Stratford area. Ironically his last league appearance was against the same opponents and, despite being under-strength, his team was able to come away victorious. Although Milton was unable to get the better of Robert McCluskey he registered a brace, with colleague Gareth Hepworth going one better to earn a treble without the loss of a game. With the outcome evenly poised after completion of the singles, Henley fought hard in the doubles in an attempt to earn the draw but, despite clinching the first game, it was not to be and the final result was 4-6.

Another player making a league come-back was former Ilmington captain Dave Fordham who has joined Royal Mail. The Postmen visited Henley A who, with a surfeit of players, had the luxury of leaving Geoff Shepard on the bench although he came along to support his colleagues and ensure the score-card was completed legibly! In a close opening encounter Mike Evetts overcame Nello Mauri before going on to chalk up a treble. Don McAdam and Peter Quince earned themselves braces but neither were able to get the better of Mauri. Quince was involved in the longest set of the evening where he overturned an initial deficit against Malcolm Heritage to clinch victory in the decider. Heritage also went the distance in the doubles, but with a different result, as he and Mauri took the honours although they were unable to prevent their hosts finishing the evening with a favourable 7-3 scoreline.

Having sat out his team's opener Shephard was called upon to turn out for associated club West Warwicks when they entertained FISSC Veterans. He recorded a brace but was unable to overcome Mark Kingham who thereby earned his team's only success. However Kingham was unlucky not to add to his score after losing out in the only set of the fixture to go the distance against Peter Rodwell who, together with Alison Stewart, began the season with a treble. 

Shephard recalled himself for Henley A's trip to Shottery B and, again, went home with two wins, the pick of which was against Tim Fell in a hard fought clash that went to the wire. Fell was also given a stern test by Don McAdam when, despite letting a two -game advantage slip, he finally proved too strong for his opponent in the decider. Evetts also recorded a brace for the visitors but was taken the distance by Milton. McAdam added Henley's crucial fifth win, but none of their team had the answer to Hepworth who delivered a second unbeaten performance. Play concluded at 11.20pm with honours even.

Shottery C proved too strong for FISSC. Ken Southwell and Rob Poole both emerged with their records intact despite conceding games to Peter Florence. David Lincoln-Lewis was on sparking form to earn a brace, which included victory against Malcolm Smith in the decider, but he was unable to overcome Peter Bruce-Moore who thereby earned the Farmers' only consolation. Closest encounter of the evening was the doubles where, with Southwell going on ahead to order the celebratory refreshments, Poole and Lincoln-Lewis only just managed to join him in time after claiming victory in the fifth game.


Last Updated:
Share This Page