Ashorne recorded their first victory of the season when they visited Royal Mail who have yet to triumph in their new Alderminster home. Nevertheless it was the hosts who got off to the perfect start as Nello Mauri recorded the first of his three wins which were all achieved without the loss of a game. However the Postmen were only able to add one more success during the evening when, in a close contest, Wilf Chan got the better of Brian Marston. For the village team Mark Jones and John Hunt both produced excellent performances to go home with braces. Marston increased their tally by defeating Malcolm Heritage in the only singles match to go the distance. The final outcome of the fixture hinged upon the doubles where Hunt and Jones took on Mauri and Heritage. Their clash went to a decider in which the Ashorne pair found themselves 5 - 2 down at the change. However they refused to accept defeat and fought back to win 13 - 11 thereby ensuring that their team finished 6 - 4 to the good.

With two players away on holiday West Warwicks were fortunate to be able to call upon Robert McCluskey for the first fixture at their newly acquired Henley base. Andy Rowland and  Alison Stewart both overcame stern Ashorne resistance to finish with trebles as well as combining to claim the doubles. In the best match of the evening McCluskey lost out 11 – 9 in the decider to John Hunt, although he can feel somewhat unfortunate having earned more points than his opponent over the course of their contest. George Mudie also got on the card for Ashorne as the fixture ended 8 – 2 to the hosts.

Don McAdam was the difference between the two teams when West Warwicks welcomed Henley A. The former Stratford Town player got back to his best form in style to provide the backbone to Henley's 7 - 3 victory. However McAdam was made to work hard as each of his three singles victories was won over the distance. He must have thought his match with Jim Ferguson was beyond redemption when finding himself two games to one down and trailing 9 -4 in the fourth, but McAdam then staged a dramatic comeback.  He had another close encounter with Stewart in which he won the first two games, only for his opponent to fight back and level the score, before claiming the decider. McAdam was also taken to the wire by Peter Rodwell but did just enough to win their final game 12 - 10. The fixture also saw the welcome return to Henley colours of Mike Evetts who, along with his captain Geoff Shepherd, celebrated with a brace. However neither was able to overcome Stewart who registered both her team's singles successes as well as notching the doubles with Ferguson.  

When Shottery A entertained their own second string the first match took 40 minutes to be settled despite only going to four games. Graham Poole gave a debut to his new anti-loop bat and it looked to be working as he narrowly secured the opener against Tim Fell. The pair fought a series of lengthy rallies during which Fell gradually imposed himself before going on to record a hard earned victory. The B team captain was also involved in the only clash to go to the wire, but was unable to gain the upper hand over Stephen Foster. Poole reverted to his old bat when taking on Gareth Hepworth, although may have regretted it as his opponent won without reply to give Shottery B their only other success of the evening. The previously undefeated Hepworth lost out to both Foster and Gary Stewart who both recorded trebles as well as chalking up success in the doubles.

Article Published:
Last Updated:
Share This Page